Thursday, February 17, 2011


Thoughtful Thursday: Do we have more than we need?

Verses of the day: “O God, I beg two favors from you; let me have them before I die. First, help me never to tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, “Who is the Lord?” And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name,” (Proverbs 30:7-9, NLT).

Do I really need this skirt, this new car, or this new “stuff?” The answer is probably not. “Lord, please don’t give me too much because I might forget about you; give me just enough to satisfy my needs.” Have you ever dared to pray a prayer like this? Do you want more of God or just more stuff?

In Proverbs 30, the author begs God for two things. One is to keep falsehoods away from him. The second is a plea for God not to give him too much. The author fears if he has too much or too little, his divine intimacy with God may be negatively affected. His desire is to remain completely dependent upon God, no matter the cost. This prayer is reflective of complete surrender to a greater person and a greater agenda. He prays for God to provide just enough to get him through the day, nothing more, nothing less…just daily bread. This kind of prayer is the exact opposite of the kinds of prayers we as Americanized Christians pray today, don’t you think?

Usually our prayers sound more like this: God, please give me enough so I can be independent and ‘make it’ on my own. Please give me a big savings account so I’ll always be financially secure. Oh and God, please grow my 401K so I can comfortably retire to an ocean side golfing community. Amen.

Instead, what if we prayed more like this? God, please give me just enough because I don’t want anything to steal away divine intimacy with you; please only give me the monetary blessings you see fit; and retirement- please help me to remember that my precious treasure is in heaven, not here on earth.

I think the point of these verses is to warn us. They make us aware that sometimes the more we have the less we need God. What do you think?
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I'm learning that the peace in the "just enough" far out ways what I think I might gain in the "more." There seems to be too much compromise in the "more," but in the "just enough" I find myself only wanting... needing more of Him. Wonderful thoughts to ponder on a Thursday :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great post! I know I have many times wanted what I didn't really need. I am learning to be content with what I have. Thanks for written this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an important thing to ponder! I think we confuse our heavenly desires for HIM with stuff. We don't know how to fill the God shaped hole, so we pack it full of junk hoping to feel better but it will never work. Only God can fill that empty space. This coincides with the book I am reading, Under The Overpass. Each day, as these men live out a life as homeless men, God provides just enough and never more. Humbling.

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we have more then enough some things we have we could really give to others. If we would begin to look at what Christ has given us then we really don't lack anything. My mother always told us that to be thankful for everything you get no matter how small it may be because there are others who would love to trade your place to have what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...how true is that?! The more 'stuff' we have, the less we need God. YES! I'm with ya on this one! I pray that all I'll have is all I'll need to glorify Him. I pray that the excess I have will be used to glorify Him and His kingdom here on this earth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree. God knows exactly what we need and how much we need. "More" always seems to take our focus off of Him and our need for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful analysis and point Kelli. Many of the prayers we focus on today absolutely lean more towards material wants, rather than clearing obstacles to being closer with Him. Lots to think about in what you've said... :-)

    Have a Blessed Day Dear Lady!

    ReplyDelete