Friday, January 14, 2011

Martha: She Loved Him Too

Yesterday I wrote about Martha and how her "busy" got her into all kinds of trouble with Jesus. If you missed it you can click here to catch up. Today I am revisiting poor, misunderstood Martha because she’s gotten a pretty bad rap and I think she’s earned a little sister love.

Oh how I wish we could see the next scene in the story, don’t you? Did she stop right there and join her sister at the feet of Jesus? How humbling. Or, did she run off in tears back to the kitchen? I can relate to that too. I’m so rooting for her; I’m sure she made the right choice!

But, back to her defense… I don’t think for one second that she intentionally did the wrong thing. In fact, I am certain that she thought she was doing the right the thing. I would bet that she was nervous, yes, but also excited that “she” got to prepare dinner for Jesus! After all, and I speak from experience... a lot of thoughtful care and attention goes into crafting a meal for someone you love. I am sure she reveled at the idea of sitting around the table together breaking bread and conversing about all things biblical. This is when she would watch Him eat what she had lovingly made for Him and hang on His every word. And, after she clears the table, cleans the dishes and puts them away, then she’d get to sit at His feet. I think she must have had it all perfectly planned out in her head.

Let’s get honest, haven’t we all done that? Had the best made plans and yet they just didn’t play out quite as we had hoped? And, haven’t we all put God off, saying… “I just need to get this one thing done and then I’ll get to you.” But, then life took much longer; the job was bigger and more taxing than we had thought. People that were going help didn’t (i.e. Mary) and we just miss our chance. But, does that suggest that we don’t love Him? No… it doesn't; it just shows that we need a little discipline because we still have a lot to learn. And, isn’t it great news that He’s not finished with us yet?

Now, I am not pointing the finger at Mary either, she absolutely did the right thing. I’m rather just extending a little grace to dear Martha, because just like us she made a mistake and just like us… she loved Him too.

“My child, don’t make light of the Lord’s discipline,
and don’t give up when he corrects you.
For the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.

Hebrews 12:5-6

*Martha: She Loved Him Too is also featured today at Everyday Christian.


Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Great post. I am so glad He is not finished with me yet. I need Him to daily work on me and in me. His grace is a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting point Heidi. I'm sure as you said, Martha's intentions were certainly to serve Him in the way she thought best. No matter what, I'm sure she learned from the experience, as we all should when God calls us on a misstep we've made. We're all "works in progress", and I'm very thankful we have such a forgiving and benevolent teacher!

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so relate to this. I often think cooking is the language I use to tell my family I love them...and have to remind myself that they receive love in very different ways so they don't always hear what I hope I'm saying. I think Jesus is like that, too. We show Him our love by doing, and that's not what He asks us to do. Lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be like Martha. I would scurry around sweating in the kitchen and only catch smidges of what Jesus said. When I finally got the chance to sit at his feet I would probably be so worn out that I wouldnt really be listening! I love the story because both Martha and Mary teach us so much about ourselves and how we should strive to be...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the part about how things didnt plan out as we had hoped,,the "perfect setup" and rarely if EVER does anything turn out like we planned. It comes as a lesson to me that anytime "I" plan my life I'm disappointed,,but when I turn my focus off me and onto Jesus and let him do the planning I am more than satisfied I am at peace. Thanks for that reflection, one I will be pondering all day:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that we haven't failed if we are more Martha than Mary. It just means we have some growing to do. I can so relate to thinking just one more thing, then I'll get to God. But He deserves to be first in my life. I don't ever want to say, "wait" to God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi, love this post.I so relate.I have been Martha many times, getting so caught up in doing what I am doing and not taking that time to just BE with Jesus..I am so thankful that he loves me for who I am not what I am...I want to thank you for your reply to my post..It meant alot..

    sherry

    http://splendiferousgirlsclub.blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad for the grace extended to dear old Martha. I would be more like her than Mary I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all at times can be like her so busy when God want us to sit at His feet and learn but we make excuses like I can't read the word today I got an appointment I can't pray I don't feel well, I can't minister to a stranger let someone else do it. When will we learn that nothing comes before Christ? Will we wait until things become broken and hardship comes our way then we ready to sit at His feet? And yet we do it everyday we are like that. I for one thank God for His Grace, because He did not give us what we truly deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know who else I think gets a bad rap? Job's wife. I always feel sorry for her. God didn't set her up as His example so I think she was much weaker yet she suffered everything Job did except the physical sickness--and it is also hard to watch your husband suffer... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I think I'm more of a Martha, too and it's been a hard one to swallow in light of the message. Lots to savor and think about. Thanks for inspiring me to see a bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete