Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I Come with Christ

A broken man clutches a torn cardboard sign full of anxiety and hopelessness. The words, “need help,” are scribbled across the front. He clings to its rugged edges as if it’s the only thing he has left. Behind the flimsy cardboard square stands a somber man who longs to be ushered back into a society that tossed him aside. He craves to be noticed as a man, not a statistic.

His feet slide aimlessly across an empty street towards a destination unknown. Everything he owns is tucked underneath his arm with care. His cynical eyes widen as I roll down my car window.

My eyes meet his in a sorrowful yet desperate exchange. I reach down and grab a bag of food. As my hand briefly touches his, I notice his unsteady fingers peeking out from underneath his moth eaten gloves. I am startled by the weathered appearance of his hands. The overwhelming shock grips me. I freeze. My lips begin moving but I’m speechless. Not one word rolls off my tongue. Not even a “God bless you,” or “God loves you.” I blew it. I place the bag full of hope in his appreciative hand and drive away.

“Right now you have plenty and can help those who are in need,” 2 Cor. 8:14 (NLT).

I see him in my rear view mirror. He tinkers around in a personal prison of chronic despair. He probably thinks I am just a nice person who tossed him a quick snack. My heart’s desire was to speak these words, “I come with Christ; do you know Him?”

I didn’t swing my car over to the curb out of the goodness of my sinful heart. I felt compelled to stop my car in front of this man for three reasons:

Because my life is radically abandoned to Jesus;

Because a radical gospel reigns in my heart;

Because God’s will for us is to give our lives urgently and recklessly to making the gospel known to everyone.


I don’t want to come with simple niceties --I want to come with Christ.

When we serve the poor whether it’s providing food, shelter, or handing out blankets, we are doing it all with the gospel. It’s not enough to hand out a blanket or serve a meal and walk away. We do these things as we express the gospel of Christ. We do it so God’s glory can be exalted in the midst of a grungy backdrop.

When we come on our own, we meet the immediate needs of the poor; when we come with Christ, He meets their eternal ones.

Lord, it’s been a while since I shared the gospel with someone. When I’m nervous or scared please be the author of my words. As our ministry passes out blankets and gloves tonight, I pray that the harvest of generosity that only flows from You will splash out onto others. Amen.

“Yes, you will be enriched in every way so that you can always be generous. And when we take your gifts to those who need them, they will thank God,” 2 Cor. 9:11 (NLT).


5 comments:

  1. This post made me cry! I want so desperatley to share the love of my Jesus, I want to do something radical for Him, but always freeze as doubt and second guessing creeps in. Thank you for this, and good luck with your ministry tonight and thank you for visiting my site :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful, Kelli. "I don’t want to come with simple niceties --I want to come with Christ." That's it right there. Even if you weren't able to say all that YOU wanted to, your heart is right where it needs to be and God was honored. God Bless you in your ministry to others and thank you SO much for "riding horses in the snow" with me this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said. I'm so grateful that I get to see your heart close up and that we share this burden for the homeless together. Looking forward to tonight. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. You had me in tears. I want so bad to be used by Christ. I want to share His love with others. I am working on stepping out of my comfort zone and reaching my world for Him. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good point - I don't want to go on my own, I want to go with Jesus. Amen!

    ReplyDelete