Sunday, January 31, 2010

"Prayer Roads," By: Kelli Zaniel



“A child’s smarts can help them go places in life but the character reflected from their soul is what will determine whether or not they do anything significant once they get there.” (unknown)

Sometimes I get so distracted by the little things, that I fail to notice my biggest assignment tugging on my pant leg…my children. What do I want for my children? The better question is what does God want for my children? According to Jesus, our relationship with our children is the most precious because it allows us to catch a glimpse of how our heavenly Father relates to us.

We are here for God and it is all about Him. He is in charge, not us. I want this Truth to seep into and saturate my children’s minds, hearts and lives. I want them to become godly women who live totally sold out for their Savior. I want my children to be obsessed with Him, to seek Him with their whole heart and not wander from His commandments (Ps. 119:10-11). I want them to hold God’s Word close to their hearts and wait patiently on Him (see Ps. 40:1-3).

God and I had a little meeting the other day about his children. We agreed on the following: I don’t want my children to think of God as an “outsider.” Someone who is handed an “admit one” ticket for special occasions only. I do want them to have an intimate love relationship with Him. I don’t want my children to think of God as some “wealthy passerby” who is only here to shower blessings and good fortune on them. I do want them to become radically obedient to whatever God says so they will see the fruit of their work. I don’t want my children to think of God as “spare change,” only using Him when they are at their worst. I do want my children to cry out to God in all circumstances (the good, the bad and the ugly). I want my children to be tenacious, courageous and compassionate servants for God who not only devour the Bible but actually let it sink in. I want them to know that salvation is a process. Developing a relationship with God takes diligence, discipline and obedience. He is our leader and sustainer.

I asked God, “What are good ways to make this happen?” He provided the following instruction, “Talk to them [our children] about God [and Jesus whom He sent] when we are at home, when we are on the road, when we go to bed and when we get up in the morning” (Deut. 6:6-7). I don’t know about you, but that sums up my day. So I guess that means we are to talk to our children about God all day long! This verse commands us to share the love of Jesus with our children. Did you catch that—He COMMANDS us. It is not up for debate. It is not a democracy. We can’t pick and choose what we want to obey and what we don’t. It requires absolute obedience. An obedience that shows we are in a state of righteousness, a standing before God obtained by faith (see Hab. 2:4).

I have taken Deuteronomy 6:6-7 literally and as a homeschooling mom, I have a lot of opportunities to be obedient to my Jesus. I extracted a portion of the verse “talk about God when you are on the road,” and decided to make it a fun learning experience for our children. We call it, “prayer roads.” This is how it works. When the kids and I are traveling in the car and we pass a street that someone we know lives on, we pray for them. Prayer roads teaches them to pray without ceasing; and to take the focus off of themselves and place it onto others. It teaches them that it is okay to pray anytime and anywhere, God is always listening. (Since Julie Tatem and Heidi Avery live within 2 miles of our home---let’s just say, y’all have been prayed for a lot!)

There is good news for moms everywhere! In case you haven't heard, God is in the transformation business. If he can turn a sinner into a saint, He can turn an overworked mom into an instrument He can use to shape and mold the character of our children. He knows how and what we need to be prepared for. We just need to give our days to Him and let Him work out the kinks.

Lord please fill my mouth with your words today (Ps. 81:10) so that those words spoken will bring healing and comfort which “is the tree of life” (Prov. 15:4). Equip me with a wise heart (Prov. 16:23); spiritual ears for hearing (see Prov. 1:5); and the discipline to pray and not give up (Luke 18:1). Help me to be an encourager so that the little ones around me are lifted up and not torn down (see Heb. 3:13).

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to know y'all pray for me when you pass my little cul-de-sac!!! Thank you. That really means a lot to me! Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete