Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"A Table for Two," By Kelli Zaniel

Picture a beautiful table draped with white linen, ivory colored plates surrounded by scalloped edges, sparkling crystal glasses that perform sweet melodies with only a touch, newly shined silverware, and a soft glowing light radiating from the glittering candles. Now, picture that you are having dinner with Jesus. The meal has been carefully planned and prepared. The aromas dance from the kitchen and playfully kiss the tip of your nose. The lighting is soft and the atmosphere is tranquil. Jesus has taken his seat as you begin preparing your plate. He eagerly awaits your return. As you approach the table, Jesus pulls out your chair (because he is a gentleman after all) as you graceful take your seat. You have not yet served Jesus, but you decide to sit down and start grubbin’ on the meal. Every girl knows that you never begin eating until your guest is served first. I am sure that Jesus is staring at his "hostess," right about now and wondering what happened to her manners!

In the past, when I strayed from God, this is what would happen. I would rush around serving myself leaving Jesus empty handed. I would become so “busy,” with things that the world deemed important that I would fail to recognize Jesus’ personal invitation to fellowship with Him...sit with Him, listen to Him and be fed by Him.

I would step up to my personal buffet, serve myself a heavy duty helping of my will, which left my Jesus sitting there with an empty plate. When I invested all my time and energy into other people or things instead of Jesus, I was the one standing in line with no food left to be served and a plate full of emptiness. Am I only serving myself or am I serving God and others? Am I distracted by the menu or am I getting fed?

God knows our deeds. He knows if we are joyfully serving Him and others (see Rev. 2:19); or if we are just serving out of selfish ambition or vain conceit (see Phil. 2:3). God so desires for us to humble ourselves in service the way that Jesus humbled himself. Sometimes serving others is difficult but Jesus wants to, “prepare us for works of service” (Eph. 4:12). If we allow Him to prepare us, our focus will not just be on ourselves, but “the interests of others” (Phil. 2:4).

“Our attitude needs to be the same as that of Jesus” (Phil. 2:5) who made himself, “nothing as he took the very nature of a servant” (v.7). In the example above, the hostess made herself “EVERYTHING,” by only serving herself. That is just the opposite of what Jesus would do. If you sat down with Jesus at a table for two, who would be served first… you or your King?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can't even imagine sitting at the dinner table with Jesus. I can imagine how stressed out Martha (in the Bible), must have felt when He came to her house. When reading that story of Mary and Martha, I can see myself hurring around the house, making sure everything was perfect, like Martha, and walking circles around Jesus. Jesus was delighted with Mary, as she sat at His feet in fellowship with Him. I think it's easy to keep busy and lose our focus, off or our King!

    ReplyDelete