Thursday, December 10, 2009

Give Prayer, by Heidi Avery

“I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone.” 1 Timothy 2:1

Timothy reminds us of our call to be in intercessory prayer- giving up our prayers for others. An intercessor is one who takes the place of another or pleads another's case. Sometimes that’s easy, especially when we know what to pray for others, when we know what they’re going through. Even then, knowing exactly what to pray is hard because we don’t know God’s plan for them.

It’s even more difficult to pray for someone when we don’t know their specific needs. We don’t know the problem and we still don’t know God’s plan. Not knowing God’s plan is what trips me up most of the time as I pray for myself and others.

Until now...

In Colossians 1, I’ve found the answer on how to give effective intercessory prayer! I can’t take credit for this information it’s all spelled out nice and tidy in my bible… okay so I reworded it a little, but I just can’t help that!! Anyway, it’s helped me so much that I had to share it with you…

Colossians 1:3,4, 9-11

“We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus… For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father.”

When praying for others…

  1. GIVE thanks to God for their faith and changed lives in Christ. (Col. 1:3,4)
  2. Ask God to GIVE to them insight on what He wants them to do. (Col. 1:9)
  3. Ask God to GIVE them deep Spiritual wisdom and understanding (Col. 1:9)
  4. Ask God to GIVE them direction on how to live for Him. (Col. 1:10)
  5. Ask God to GIVE them more knowledge of Himself. (Col. 1:10)
  6. Ask God to GIVE them strength and patience for endurance. (Col. 1:11)
  7. Pray for them to joyfully GIVE thanks to God. (Col. 1:11)

So, I’m trying out this God breathed plan for prayer on our sweet Melissa today and this is what it looks like…

Father, I thank you for Melissa. Her faith is in you God and her life is changed because of you. God, give her insight on how best to deal with the little men in her life. Speak clear wisdom to her tired and tested heart. She wants desperately to live for you in every way and only You can show her how. Continue to reveal yourself to her and give her strength and patience to endure this difficult time. Lastly, Lord, give her a heart of joyful thanks to you for these trials that only serve to draw her closer to you.

1 comment:

  1. God gave us Jesus and Jesus gave us the Holy Spirit to be intercessors with us as we pray...so we will know how to pray in accordance with God's will. I have been praying for God to provide confirmation that I am in the center of His will. When I am in the center of His will, the rest of my life seems to fall into place. Sometimes, it doesn't look all that graceful but somedays it does. I choose to focus on the "somedays!"

    ReplyDelete