Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Surrender

I'm traveling home this week, so I'm sharing a post I wrote a little over a year ago...


When I consider my life as a Christian it all comes down to one primary goal… living in complete abandon to Christ. 

Sometimes it’s difficult. 

For example, giving up in-my-face feelings for His hard facts is challenging. Feelings of the flesh are like a quick moving cancer eating up all logic, reason and truth with in its reach. They cause me to assume, to justify, to consider my rights and to ingest cupfuls of anger and bitterness. They are a very real threat and should be treated as such.

The thing I need to remember when my feelings have imprisoned me is that my escape resides in the facts and the facts are found in the truth. And, inside the truth is the key to my self- made prison.

The key? SURRENDER

My surrendering determines not only how sold out I am for Jesus, but also my love for Him. 

That’s big. --That’s really big for all of us girls. 

I have questioned why God made us such sensitive souls and all I can conclude is that He did it so we would continually draw near to Him. I desperately need Him to sort out my unruly feelings, to calm me in the midst of them, to direct me away from them and to especially guard my heart from them. My emotions require vigilant micro-management and that has me surrendering to Him nearly every moment. Its work, but it’s worth it because it’s a place where I can find His best for me.

Surrender is essential. It’s radiation therapy for feelings run awry. It’s a conscious practice of breathing out untruth and breathing in the sweetness of Jesus…

When I am gripped with fear and it begins to pull me under… Lord, I surrender.

When I am angry and raging like loud thunder… Lord, I surrender.

When I am weak and my faith begins to waver… Lord, I surrender.

When I am filled with envy that alters my behavior… Lord, I surrender.

When I taste the bitterness seeping in, trying to take over… Lord, I surrender.

When I am full with pride thinking I deserve better… Lord, I surrender.

When I am consumed with myself and dwelling on my failure… Lord, I surrender.

When I doubt I am your treasure… Lord, I surrender.

These soft whispers of surrender allow my world to come to a quiet hush, slowing it down to a steady halt. My muddled up mind clears for just long enough to experience God supernaturally syncing up my feelings with His facts. I am empowered. I have spiritual clarity. My flesh is silenced. I am free to follow Him.

Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees;
then I will keep them to the end.
Give me understanding, and I will keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.
Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.

Psalm 119:33-35 NIV
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi - This is a very good post for me to read today. To surrender all to God is the only way to get past stuff.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surrender. Great word. Sometimes it is a struggle for me to surrender to Him. I know He can handle everything better than I can. I know He sees more than I do. But I like to be in control sometimes. I am learning to simply surrender and submit to Him. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surrender is a tough one... But a necessary perspective to grow in God's Kingdom.

    Great post!

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very timely post, Heidi. My emotions are trying to get the best of me. I think that means it's time to surrender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, THIS is so good! I'm so glad you re-posted it. I have to remember to surrender the same! Perfect timing, Heidi, and I'm SO glad you're coming back home - safe travels, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have issues with this word. Like so many, I get along fine with God as long as my world isn't being shaken to its foundation. Give me a little fire or flood and whether God did it or not, I put on my pouty face and decide that I don't like Him. It's amazing how good surrender feels when I don't want to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feelings...nothing but some feelings...yet they can certainly upset our apple cart and threaten to steal our connection and focus on God. Who doesn't struggle with this? Great post!

    ReplyDelete