Monday, March 28, 2011

Is God the Lord Over Your Details?

Our Ministry at South Reno Baptist Church hosted international speaker Jan Coates a couple of weeks ago. When God qualified me to join him in ministry, I never imagined events, speakers, how to operate microphones, what to do when microphones stop working, and speaking in front of people--would be part of it.

As women, it’s easy to become tangled in a web of details. The ‘to-do’s’, ‘what to do’s’, and ‘how-to do’s’ rattle through our minds like roaring engines out of control. Do the decorations look nice? How does the food taste? Is the coffee too strong?

But God’s divine whisper tenderly reminds us that it’s all about Him and not about the decorations, speakers, or food.

There’s nothing like witnessing the undeniable movement of an Almighty God during fellowship time together. Even if just one person turns back a new page in their love story with Jesus, it’s worth it. It’s worth over planning and last minute errands to see leaks of tears streaming down the faces of women desiring to become more.

Is My Frazzled Self Measuring Up?

But behind every big event you’ll find at least one or two frazzled females. As I scribbled check marks down the list I began asking myself, “When stress bullies its way through the door of opportunity will I live up to God’s standard of peace, patience, and self-control? Will I wrap my arms around the feet of Jesus when I feel myself buckling under the pressure of last minute details?

Will I let God down if I don’t measure up?

The other day on Lysa Terkeurt’s blog she mentioned something her pastor said about letting God down.

"How can you let God down when you were never holding him up?”

I love a great quote, don’t you?

Here’s another one.

My pastor said, “If we sin on the right foot, then we need to confess on the left foot.” So, when I erupt like a volcano because I’m struggling to manage myself, the Holy Spirit will gently remind me to say “Lord, I’m sorry. Please forgive me so I can start fresh.”

So as we step forward with the left foot of confession, we are able to experience God’s immeasurable mercy and grace. After all, he is the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, (see 2 Corinthians 1:3).

I felt a brief yet sweet sensation brush over my soul that was undoubtedly God’s voice. He said,

Do you really know I am your mercy behind everything you do?

Your grace behind every mistake you make? And

Your comfort when things don’t go according to plan?

Do you really know that I don’t want your heart to be troubled (see John 14:1)?

As floods of emotion saturated my cheek, I replied, “Yes Lord, I know you are all those things." Sometimes I just need to be reminded. Thank you for pausing today in the midst of all your creation just for me. Thank you for the revelation that every detail of my day needs to be committed to you. Please be the Lord over my details today and every day. Amen.
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Great post Kelli. Working in ministry definitely drives home the fact that it is NOT about us. Things will never go just as we planned it...and they shouldn't. God needs to be Lord over the details because His plan is ALWAYS perfect. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post..thank you for sharing.. Love this quote.."How can you let God down when you were never holding him up?”
    Many Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with this, too...so this post was a great reminder...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli, great post. We can not let down because we do not hold Him up. Yesterday I had a really bad day with my son. I was getting so angry and frustrated. I even was so upset at one point I said whatever I'll try to be nicer tomorrow. When I should have said, God I am sorry can I start over. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you ladies did a great job and I don't think you let God down at all. To come from your comfort zone and do this is what pleases Him He has and always will love a willing heart. God bless you all. You ladies look lovely together in the photo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Kelli. So very true - we can't let God down because we were never holding Him up. I want to hear God say well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi mercy, grace and comfort are the best medicine for our troubled hearts. I am always comforted by the fact that He is never surprised by anything... takes out any chances that we could left Him down! Great reminders :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quote... So profoundly simple.

    I have no question that you ladies did a wonderful job with the event, and that His Light shone brightly through you that day.

    Thank you for sharing this moment with us. :-)

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete