Monday, October 11, 2010

Take A Load Off By Kelli Zaniel

Unrealistic expectations stack on our backs like a ton of bricks. They constantly weigh us down. Sometimes, we wobble but catch ourselves. Other times, we stumble and fall.

It’s like a never ending piggy back ride, only the passenger is two tons of mission impossible.

Not able to withstand the heavy load we force ourselves to carry, we begin to slouch over. Friends and family try straightening our backs with words of encouragement but it doesn’t always work.

As we crouch, our view is limited. We can’t see in front of us. We only see the ground below. We don't see where we're going, only where we've been.

Unattainable expectations are like annoying drips from a broken faucet.

Drip, drip, drip...

We try ignoring the sounds, hoping it will go away. However, some days we can’t seem to turn off the echoes of failure clanking deep within our hearts.

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light,” (Matthew 11:28-30, NLT).

We lay impossible expectations on ourselves.

God whispers, “I never placed those heavy burdens there, “for my burden is light.” When things are hard, God doesn’t make them that way, we do.

Let’s all stand tall today. Straighten our backs and focus on what lies ahead. Let’s allow the weight of unrealistic expectations slide off our backs and into the arms of our Savior.

Let the God of the Universe lift your super-sized load today. You’ll be free to accomplish more than you can possibly imagine!

1 comment:

  1. I am the queen of setting unrealistic expectations for myself! Thank you Jesus that you are the mighty burden lifter!

    ReplyDelete