Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"Itsy Bitsy Spider" Kelli Zaniel

It is 5:00 a.m. when I hear the commotion from across the house. I hear a thud, footsteps and a high-pitched shriek that could wake a neighborhood. Panic filters through the air. I spring out from underneath the covers and race to the next room in under five seconds flat. Wiping Mr. Sandman away from the corner of my eye I say in a very groggy voice, “What’s wrong?” “Has someone broken in?” Sheer panic grips my five year olds face as she points out the assailant.

My eyes begin to focus and I see it. There it is in all its glory. The trouble-maker, the robber of my sleep, eight hairy legs and all. I spot it lounging on a pink and white gingham bean bag. Seemingly, the spider is calm and obviously not in any hurry. He appears to enjoy the mayhem he is causing.

The showdown begins. Toilet paper in hand, I creep in closer. I move to the right. He crawls left. I dive left. He darts right. He prevails and is now under the bed hiding behind a naked, headless Barbie. He escapes his first (and most certainly not the last) close call of the day.

Deuteronomy 31:6 says, "Be strong. Take courage. Don't be intimidated. Don't give them a second thought because GOD, your God, is striding ahead of you. He's right there with you. He won't let you down; he won't leave you” (MSG).

Little creepy crawly spiders dart into my life every day. They might not look like your average neighborhood spider but they cause distress and mayhem in the same way. They may interrupt our day, rob us of much deserved rest and steal our spiritual joy all in one fail webby swoop. However, our reaction will determine if WE are the ones scurrying underneath the bed or them.

These inconvenient creatures spin a web of distraction around me pushing me off balance. For me these creatures look like…

plunging a toilet bowl for the tenth time in one day,

wiping poo poo off the bottom of a brand new shoe,

not fitting into a pair of pants you wore two weeks ago that weren’t even tight at all, or

pulling bubble gum out of your favorite hair brush.

When the creepy crawlies find their way into the wide open spaces of your day, remember that God is ahead of you, beside you, above you and behind you. He is going ahead of you to rid your path of the big bad spiders that may have destruction on their mind. If we can’t be courageous in the small things, then how can we ever be brave in the big ones?

1 comment:

  1. Kelli,
    Hilarious story of the spider! Thank the good Lord that He does give us that strength to be brave and kill those suckers! Spiders are the worse! I'm so glad that those grose, disgusting, and scary spiders that Satan throws my way in life are overcome by the power of God!!! Those little guys don't stand the chance next to our Almighty Risen Savior!

    Christa

    ReplyDelete