Sunday, April 11, 2010

"I Am Jesus' #1 Fan," By Kelli Zaniel


Question for the week: Am I Jesus’ #1 Fan?
Verses of the week: “Not everyone who calls out to me ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in Heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me you who break God’s laws’ (Matt. 7:21-23).

Application for your week: Imagine you have died and are now departing from this earth. Next, imagine your arrival at terminal 2B destination heaven. You finally arrive and quickly step up to the gate. Soon you notice no one is there to meet you. The highly anticipated meeting with the Creator of the Universe is about to take place. As Jesus approaches, you notice He has a puzzled look on His face. Just about the time you leap into His arms, He extends His hand pushing you away and says, “I never knew you.”

This passage found in Matthew chapter 7 convicts me and should convict you too. I can’t imagine anything worse for the believer who expects to hear, “Well done my good and faithful servant” (see Matt. 25:21) but instead hears, “Get away from Me, I never knew you.” The Bible teaches that the way to enter God’s Kingdom is through the narrow gate. The narrow gate is very difficult and only a few find it (see Matt. 7:13-14). The highway to hell is broad and “its gate is wide and many people choose that way.” The wide gate is very beautiful and attractive. Its advertisements lure you in as they promote self indulgence and immediate satisfaction. Do you believe you are different from those entering through the wide gate? If your answer is “yes,” would people around you agree? Can you think of anything in your life right now that you wouldn’t want anyone else to know? Very few find the narrow gate. Do you believe that you are one of the very few who has found it?

Are you so obsessed with Jesus that He could say you are His #1 fan? When I think back over my life I never really “got it.” Yes, I gave my life to Christ when I was young but I never truly understood the “relationship” part. I was in the game but was only sort of cheering. I wasn’t hootin’ and hollerin’ for Jesus but I wasn’t denying Him either. I was somewhere in the middle.

God does not want us to sit in the stadium and blend into the crowd. He wants us to stand out. He wants to hear us cheering above all the other “fans.” He wants us to be the obnoxious fan that you wish would just sit down because they are blocking your view and spilling their coke on everyone. He wants us to be willing to risk everything, willing to be faithful under extreme pressure and willing to obey not matter what the cost. Someone who is cheering so loudly and boldly for Him that the world would say is a little obnoxious. The question I ask myself is, “would other people think that I am obnoxiously in love with my Savior?” I hope so because I believe that leads us down the narrow path, the only path worth traveling, don’t you?

Is Jesus just your pinch hitter or your most valuable player? Do you think Jesus is a mere interruption in the midst of your busy life or are you asking Jesus to interrupt your busy life so you will become closer to Him?

Challenge for your week: I had a boyfriend who once said, “I love you but sometimes I just want to do my own thing.” I challenge you to allow your actions to be reflective of what you say to God in private. If you say you love Him, are you “doing your own thing” or are you doing your thing with Jesus? Are you thinking, breathing, eating, sleeping Jesus? If not, that is my challenge for us this week. When I step into terminal 2B destination heaven, I want Jesus to not only recognize me but welcome me as a “citizen in the city of my God” (see Rev. 3:12)!

Looking ahead in your week: Do you think you are getting enough Jesus in your life? I don’t think we should ever be satisfied where our relationship with Jesus is concerned. There is always room for more of Him in our lives. There is always room to know Him more, serve Him more and love Him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment